It is that time of year when everyone starts reflecting back on the previous year and planning for the new year to come. Resolutions are being formed and hopes are being made about what is to come. I’ve started thinking about the new year too, but I started on December 3rd.
It was the last Sarah’s Laughter meeting of the year and we had a guest Speaker. Our Guest Speaker was Mary Claire Stickle (www.thestickles.wordpress.com). Mary Claire has a pretty amazing story. Like me, she struggled with infertility. A certain part of Mary Claire’s testimony really stood out in my mind. Everyday during her walk with infertility she used to pray for her future baby (ies) by name. Before they were even formed, she knew their names and lifted up Bennett and Eliza to God, asking Him to bless her with them. Not knowing how or when these little ones would come. During this time she would see little reminders that God is sovereign in random places. She mentioned meeting a dog that had the same name as one of her future babies’ at the dog park, or seeing a man on an airplane with a puff painted shirt signed by a little girl named Eliza. It was those moments that she would smile and believe that God was showing her to keep believing.
My friend, Melissa (www.littlemrsmarried.com), has a word she felt God had given her in 2015. It is “Believe”. She also would see little glimpses of God at random times with this word. Friends would give her coffee cups or little signs with the word Believe. Or certain things would just remind her to keep believing.
Both of these things have really stuck out in my mind. I had a verse for 2015 “Blessed is she who believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her.” Luke 1:45. 2015 was a year I really needed this particular verse. Setback after setback I would recite that verse and remember that God has a plan. I still rely heavily on this verse.
These two friends don’t even know it but they have helped challenged me to some New Year’s resolutions of my own. If you know the Doctor I work for, you know he is a HUGE advocate for writing down your goals. He always says “You have a goal? Write it down, look at it every day. Tell yourself it will happen.” I do plan on writing my goals for 2016, but I’m going to blog them too! Same thing, right?!
- I wanted to choose a new verse for 2016. I wasn’t quite sure which one to pick. But then I randomly won a giveaway from Fertile Box. In the box is a 5×7 picture of a verse that just couldn’t be more perfect! ” Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” Hebrews 11:1 . There we have it, folks! My verse for 2016!
- Like Melissa, I’ve also decided on a word for 2016. Faith. Walking through this journey of infertility you MUST have faith. I have faith in God that one day Baby (ies) Best will make their miraculous entrance into the world. What a joyous day that will be!
- Like Mary Claire, I have decided to start praying for our future babies by their particular names. I’ve prayed for them for a long time, but never by name. Now, we have a few picked out, so I’m not really ready to share their names with the world just yet, but maybe eventually!
- Be a better friend/daughter/sister/wife etc. etc. etc. I’ve read somewhere that Infertility can make you into a very selfish person. And rightfully so. Its a journey where you have SO much on your mind that you can’t possibly think of anything else. This year I have been late with Birthday wishes, or have forgotten them all together. (I really am very, very, very, sorry Dad!). But in 2016 I will remember that I am not the only one in the world who is going through something. I will really listen to my Husband more, remember birthdays, and send out notes of encouragement like all the ones I have received. I’ve been blessed with so many letters, little gifts, and words of encouragement this year. So I will make a conscious effort to pay those forward!
- Be more intentional with my Prayer life. I already pray a lot. In the morning after my devotional for the day, at night before I go to bed, and sometimes in between. My nighttime prayers are usually my long ones. But the problem arises that I’m always in bed and sometimes drift off to sleep before I’m finished. So my goal for 2016 is to be more intentional with my prayers. I’m going to find a spot besides my tempting, super comfy bed, to really pray and connect to God. Its a long overdue change.
So these are my goals/resolutions for 2016. I’ve never been more ready to say Goodbye to a year! I’m SO over 2015, so see ya bye, 2015! Here’s to all the good things to come in 2016! Cheers!